Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Wendy's for dinner

We went to Wendy's for dinner one evening. I wanted their chili poured over a garden salad. Scott and Danny's thing to do is, the double burger with chili and fries and drink.
Any way...... we sat down to eat and Danny got up to get a spoon for his frosty. I asked him to pick up a fork and knife for me as well. Scott forgot a straw, he got up and Danny came back. As Scott was on his way back, I over heard the young man sitting with his back to me say " be more quiet, there are people sitting right here". So I turned to my right and saw two young ladies sitting to my right with the young guy. The young guy and one young lady had their backs to me. The other young lady sat facing me and she looked right at me when I turned to look in that direction. Scott sat down........
The young lady was about 15 or 16 as were the others.

My mistake........no young lady.......... her comment to the young man was extremely loud and she sounded angry ......"who cares what they think.....they're old farts anyway........."

Old farts?........Ol' farts?.......... when did we become old farts?

I turned to Scott to say something about this and realized while looking at him,... OK, ....yeah he did look like an old fart..... With his grey hair and some wrinkles... but.....when did we cross over that line? I don't remember having that celebration of becoming an old fart. I don't think I'm an old fart. When did our age become the old farts? I missed something. I'm not an old fart. My mind just kept racing these thoughts over and over in my mind....I'm not an old fart.
I said nothing to Scott and ate my food in silence.

Then as we got up to leave, Scott and Danny were already throwing their items out as I got up from the table. I pushed my chair in and said in a low voice " at least I never was a young piss ant"....

I only had one indication that they heard what I said.

When we were backing out of the space in the parking lot, the girl with her back to me fingered us.

It's nice to know that, .... we are the number one old farts.

12 comments:

Monica said...

OMG. If you are now classified as an old fart (just by the YOUNGER generation, of course), what does that make my generation??

Marcel said...

It is amusing that you allow someone else to change how you feel about yourself. Random comments like theirs are best ignored. Certainly, never to stoop to a response that only shows that they matter at all in this universe.

cheryl said...

I'm not sure what she would classify your generation. She isn't worth tracking down. As in my fathers response, let's not track her down she might think she matters.

And you're right Dad, I should have held my tongue and not let her know she pushed a button.

EZ Travel said...

It isn't a matter of letting someone change how you feel about yourself, but interesting to find out how you are perceived by others. I remember the first time someone said "yes, mam" to me. I'm old enough to be a "mam." Who knew?

Sean M. said...

I hate to say this, since I'm sure that you were humiliated to an extent, but I found your story to be extremely funny! Not because of what was said or gestured, but because I could really picture what was happening as I was reading it!

As a member of "that" generation, I hereby declare that you are NOT an old fart... I hope that makes you feel better! :-D

Tim B. said...

She flipped you her IQ !

Sean M. said...

I know this has nothing to do with this post, but I just had to share. I was driving back from the grocery store today, and passed by a local bakery. On that side of their sign, it said something about how they would be making Paczki! Reminded me of a certain blog you wrote last year...what a small world. They must be Polish Catholics over at that bakery.

By the way, when are you going to update??? Not that I have been the spokesperson of people who update their blogs, but still. At least MINE was written in December... :-D

Anonymous said...

How about a new blog?

Anonymous said...

Sean, Paczki is a Polish pastery, not Catholic. Not even Jewish.
It is a round donut minus the hole, and filled with jelly or custard. You will always find them aroundEaster season, usually on Fat Tuesday, which is the beginning of Lent.

patb said...

just testing my comment

Sean M. said...

Sorry Grandma, I should have clarified. I knew that Paczki was Polish and eaten before Lent for Fat Tuesday (as from Aunt Cheryl's blog last year). What I didn't mention was that this bakery is run by a family (almost assuredly Catholic), and happens to serve Polish pastry. I just made a connection between the two (even though I'm not 100% sure of their ancestry or religious affiliation).

I just wanted to let you know that I was well-informed on the matter, thanks to my blogging family members. :-D

cheryl said...

I'll have a new one soon, I need to take a picture for it.